The Richmond Main Street Initiative, Inc. is a community-based nonprofit corporation dedicated to revitalizing historic Downtown Richmond as a pedestrian-friendly urban village, offering products, services, arts, and entertainment that reflect the community’s rich and diverse heritage.
Historic Downtown Richmond is a safe, vibrant, thriving destination for arts, entertainment, businesses, and residents with an easily accessible transit center.
- Evolve RMSI into a mature organization with a diversified funding stream, an established reputation and clout in the community, and consensus-driven collaboration with local stakeholders working towards commercial district revitalization and implementing the relevant portions of the Macdonald Avenue Revitalization Plan.
- Develop Downtown into a regional arts and cultural destination.
- Develop Downtown as the center of neighborhood life for the Iron Triangle.
- Strengthen Downtown’s economic base through business retention, targeted recruitment, social entrepreneurship and financing, trend monitoring and education, and new development.
- Market Downtown and produce special events to attract shoppers, new businesses, and employees from local businesses.
- Implement visible physical improvements, including streetscape upgrades and creative building re-use, to spur broader rehabilitation Downtown and enhance a pedestrian friendly environment.
- Work with police and code enforcement personnel to promptly tackle blight and safety problems that impede commercial district usage and development.
Our Approach to Downtown Revitalization
- Host Regular Stakeholder Meetings
- Collaboration with Community Members & Groups
- Open Communication with Business and Property Owners
Promotion & Marketing
Marketing historic Main Street and generating activities to attract residents, merchants and the greater East Bay to Downtown Richmond:
Clean & Safe
Enhancing the public safety and cleanliness of Downtown Richmond:
- Safety1st Neighborhood Ambassadors: Maintenance and Hospitality teams
- Maintain Community “Green” Space at Harbour Way and Macdonald Avenue
- Host Downtown clean-up & beautification activities
- Co-sponsor annual Chill with a Cop, National Night Out, and Coffee with a Cop events
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) visits to downtown businesses
Strengthening and broadening the economic base of Downtown Richmond:
Enhancing the physical appearance of Downtown Richmond: