Richmond Main Street Initiative is dedicated to strengthening Downtown Richmond’s economic base through business retention, targeted recruitment, social entrepreneurship and financing, trend monitoring and education, and new equitable development.
We actively partner with the local business community, anchor institutions, and service providers to provide a wide range of technical assistance services to small businesses and emerging entrepreneurs. Whether you’re the owner of an established enterprise who wants to revamp your business practices or you’re an entrepreneur ready to take the next step, Richmond Main Street is here to help.
Our Current Small Business Assistance Programs
Richmond Business Bites is a free workshop series offered throughout the year featuring panelists of small business owners, advisors, City of Richmond representatives, and others offering their expertise on a range of entrepreneurship topics. Our Get Certified! For Contracts with Anchor Institutions series is a hands-on course designed to get local, small, and minority-owned businesses certified and ready for doing business with anchor institutions.
Why Get Certified?
Federal, state, and local governments offer businesses opportunities to sell billions of dollars worth of products and services. Many government agencies require that some percentage of the procurements be set aside for small businesses. Certifying your business can help you successfully compete for government contracts.
Before you can begin bidding for contacts with the government, your business must obtain the proper certifications. Small business certifications document a special capability or status that will help you compete in the marketplace and take advantage of business opportunities through anchor institutions, such as State of California, Federal agencies, UC Berkeley, City of Richmond, and others.
Get Certified! For Contracts with Anchor Institutions
Want to grow your business? Get certified! Small business certifications will put your business “on the map” for a wide range of businesses, agencies, and entities looking to procure products and services.
When: Most recent workshop was August 20, 2018. We hope to host another one in early 2019.
Scroll down for links to the presentations, handouts, and resources from the workshop. Join our Small Business Mailer to get updates on this workshop and other resources offered by our partners.
Who: All businesses welcome! Local, small, minority, women, and/or veteran owned businesses welcome and encouraged to participate.
- Presentations by Small Business Development Pros
- Hands-on Help from Certification Experts
- Breakfast & Lunch Included
- Small Business Certification Tips & Benefits
- UC Berkeley Law Practicum Legal Checklist for Entrepreneurs
- Hands-On Certification Workshops: State of California and SAM.gov ***REQUIRED: Review the Get Certified Workshop Resource Guide to come prepared to create these accounts and certify your business***
Capacity: 35 *waitlist and walk-ins will be allowed as space permits*
For More Information
Call (510) 236-4049
Sponsored by: UC Berkeley Partnership Grant. Hosted by Richmond Main Street Initiative with generous support from Contra Costa SBDC, UC Berkeley Law’s New Business Practicum, State of California Department of General Services, Small Business Administration, and Richmond Community Foundation.
Resources & Materials
Get Prepared to Get Certified
State of California Department of General Services – Cal eProcure
- How to do Business with California State Government
- Cal eProcure Hands-on Registration – Guide
- Small Business (SB) Certification Support Documents
- Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise Services (DVBE) Certification Support Documents
Federal Government – SAM.gov
- Small Business Administration Contracting Resources – Your Business and Government: A Contracting Partnership
- Registering on www.SAM.gov – The only way to do business with the federal government
- Small Business Administration 12 Steps to Success: Practical Guide to Doing Business with the Federal Government
- SAM.gov Non-Federal User Guide
UC Berkeley Law’s New Business Practicum – BerkeleyLaw
- UC Berkeley Law’s New Business Practicum Legal Checklist for Entrepreneurs – Presentation
- The Business Model Canvas: Template, Sample
- Entity Options for Businesses – Key Characteristics
- Common Operational Relationships for New Businesses
- Legal Compliance Checklist for Employers (2017)
- Which Employment Laws Apply to You
- Confidentiality and Nondisclosure Agreement Template – Word, PDF
- Protecting What’s Yours: How Intellectual Property Law Can Help – Presentation
Looking for guidance and help about business planning and financial services? Check out our Business Resources page.
Interested in starting your own business? Check out First Steps to Successful Start-Ups. Learn about the attributes of a successful entrepreneur AND invaluable sources of information for the nuts and bolts of starting your business, including:
- Licenses and permits
- Business planning process
- Key information sources for developing your business plan
- How to take advantage of the Contra Costa SBDC’s free and low-cost business services
- And much, much more!
Instructor: Vaneese Johnson, SBDC Advisor
Hosted by: Richmond Main Street Initiative in partnership with Contra Costa Small Business Development Center