The Richmond Main Street Initiative is a community-based nonprofit corporation dedicated to revitalizing historic downtown Richmond as a pedestrian-friendly urban village, offering products, services, arts and entertainment that reflect the community’s rich and diverse heritage.
“Downtown Richmond is a neighborhood which includes a commercial district that provides convenience and specialty retail and services to residents and office workers in the Iron Triangle and nearby neighborhoods. Downtown also has arts and cultural offerings that attract Richmond residents and visitors from the entire East Bay region.”
- Evolve RMSI into a mature organization with a diversified funding stream, an established reputation and clout in the community, and consensus-driven collaboration with local stakeholders working towards commercial district revitalization and implementing the relevant portions of the Macdonald Avenue Revitalization Plan.
- Develop downtown into a regional arts and cultural destination.
- Develop downtown as the center of neighborhood life for the Iron Triangle.
- Strengthen downtown’s economic base through business retention, targeted recruitment, social entrepreneurship and financing, trend monitoring and education, and new development.
- Market downtown and produce special events to attract shoppers, new businesses and employees from the local businesses.
- Implement visible physical improvements, including streetscape upgrades and creative building re-use, to spur broader rehabilitation downtown and enhance a pedestrian friendly environment.
- Work with police and code enforcement personnel to promptly tackle blight and safety problems that impede commercial district usage and development.
THE MAIN STREET APPROACH
The Main Street approach to commercial district revitalization is effective because it is comprehensive and community-driven. Merchants, property owners, and residents become partners and take action on a wide variety of community issues. Everyone benefits from an increased sense of pride and place, safer and cleaner neighborhood, better products and services, and community-oriented events. Here are the main objectives:
Utilizing a consensus driven approach to include stakeholders in revitalization efforts:
- Regular Stakeholder Meetings
- Collaboration with Community Members
- Open Communication with Business Owners
CLEAN AND SAFE
Enhancing the public safety and cleanliness of the Richmond Main Street district:
- Community “Green” Space and Downtown Clean-ups
- Neighborhood Ambassador Program
- Beautification Campaign
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) visits to downtown businesses
Enhancing the physical appearance of downtown Richmond:
- Façade and Streetscape Improvements
- Downtown Banner Campaign
- “Art In Windows” Project
Marketing historic downtown and generating activities to attract residents, merchants and the greater East Bay to downtown Richmond:
- Art In Windows Exhibit Receptions
- Music on the Main Summer Concert Series
- Healthy Village Farm Stand
- Holiday Festival
- Holiday Bazaar
- Spirit & Soul Festival Fundraiser
Strengthening and broadening the economic base of downtown Richmond:
- Small Business Workshops
- Business Recruitment and Retention
- Market Analysis and Strategies
- Summer Youth Entrepreneur Program
- Establish and Implement the Downtown Richmond Business Improvement District