The building at 322 Harbour Way was originally constructed in 1924 as an open floor plan department store. In the 1940s-1960s it was home to a Breuners Furniture store on the first floor and a dance studio on the second floor. By the mid-1970s these tenants had closed or relocated. The building remained vacant until the early 1980s when it was renovated, split up into 24 individual storefronts, and reopened as the Market Square Mall.
For the past 30+ years, the Market Square Mall has been home to many Black-owned enterprises specializing in products and services that are reflective and supportive of the communities they serve.
Want more Richmond Black History? Check out past editions & our sources.